07/14/08

Hello Family,

I am here in Florida now! My mission President and his wife are nice. He sometimes can be strict but he will keep me in line that way I guess. My companion is nice. We get along for the most part. I live in a two bedroom apartment that is infested with cockroaches and mosquitoes and lot of other bugs that are pretty nasty. I have a really nice bed that I sleep on and I love it. It keeps me off the ground where all the roaches are. The humidity has not been a problem at all. My companion said that it is almost at its worst and I say, “Oh, feels like Utah, only not as hot.
On the way to Jacksonville, I got to teach a lady who was a representative of another church. She was interested in our religion and I happened to have a copy of the Book of Mormon ( the one Em gave me ) and I gave it to her. We are supposed to contact each other by email, but I have not heard from her yet. We have about 6 people we are teaching seriously. 5 of them have baptism date for August 2nd, but to be honest, I don’t think any of them will be ready by then.
The first lesson we I taught was in Spanish. I did my best to translate with a dictionary and somehow, with the spirit so strong, the message was able to get across to them. It was crazy. There are 4 of them. If you would like, you can pray for them. They need it much. Their names are Israel, Freddy, Juan, and Horace. Then there is a 21 year old boy named Brandon we are teaching. He is such a sweetheart, but I am not sure if he gets the fact that baptism is a lifelong commitment to the church. Then there is Michelle who is getting married on August 8th. She is supposed to be baptized on July 29th, but her fiancĂ© is having a problem with it, so sad. We met this woman named Eloise. She is like 80 years old and is so set in her ways. She argues with us, but then again, she wants to hear back from us, so we keep coming back. Her door was the first door I knocked on while tracting. When she answered she said that the only reason she opened it was because the knock sounded like Jesus’ knock. It was pretty cool. Then yesterday there was a woman named Jackie who we taught, she said she simply can’t find a church that is deep. She can’t seem to stop skimming the surface of the churches and wants a church that is deeper with knowledge never ending. Cool… I have a church for her!
I have 31 bug bites on my legs in which I feel I am allergic to because they are red and irritated. I don’t know when I get eaten or how.

I hope you all have a fantastic week. Hope to hear from you soon.
Love,
Sister Roach

P.S. I really am a Roach now that I live with them!!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Sounds fun.....Roaches are just what she needs! haha.

Bastian's said...

Sounds like she is doing great. She looks great in the pictures. We miss her!

Em. said...

ROACH.....we knew that name was so great for her! Glad to hear from her, she IS the best missonary!